- Would you like the chance to get a recognised qualification equivalent to a GCSE but still do something a bit different to your other subjects?
- Would you like to improve the key skills employers really value such as problem-solving, working with others and carrying out research?
- Would you like to get credit for activities you do outside school and in other subject areas?
Then read on ..................
What is CoPE? (Certificate of Personal Effectiveness)
CoPE is a qualification available at different levels and it will be taught by the Curriculum Access team. It requires students to complete a range of challenges, develop a portfolio of evidence for these challenges and show how they have used 6 key skills. These are:
- Working with others
- Improving own learning and performance
- Problem solving
- Planning/carrying out research
- Communicating through discussion
- Planning and giving an oral presentation.
Challenges are worth credits and students need at least 12 credits to achieve the Certificate. Each credit should involve at least 10 hours work.
What sort of things will I be doing?
There are lots of different challenges available in areas such as:
- Work-related learning
- Health and Fitness
- The Environment
- Independent Living
- Citizenship and Community
So one week you might be working in a small group to plan a balanced meal for a family with 2 children under 5 years old; the next week you could be using a desktop publishing package to produce a leaflet.
Things to Remember about CoPE
- Although many of the tasks are more practical than in some other GCSE subjects, you will be based in the classroom for most of the time. You will also have to do some written work in your challenges.
- The great thing about CoPE is that if you are doing activities outside of school such as a sport/leisure activity, then you can often use it towards your Certificate.
- To pass at Level 1 or 2 you will need to do some work outside of school, even if it’s just collecting evidence to show that you have completed a challenge.
- CoPE works very well with all your other GCSEs, but particularly Art, PE, Drama and Geography, as you can often use some of the work produced in these areas for your CoPE portfolio.