Oaks Park High School is an inclusive, non-selective school. This means we don’t pick and choose who comes here according to academic, religious, socio-economic or other criteria. The result is a very happy mix of students with a whole range of abilities, backgrounds and interests, and it is a diverse, vibrant and yet harmonious place to be. This also presents challenges to the staff and students, such as how to cater for all the students’ needs and show that every child really does matter, when their needs are so varied. Ofsted has judged Oaks Park’s effectiveness as “Outstanding” and this is by no means a small achievement. It is only thorough the constant dedication of the staff at this school that we have been awarded Ofsted’s highest grade possible.
It is also an outstanding place to work. The staff turnover is unusually low as people tend not to want to leave. This has a huge positive impact on the students, as they get continuity of academic and pastoral care that is rare in London schools these days. We have a large proportion of staff who have been here since the school opened, in September 2001.
The most recent Ofsted report can be accessed through the school’s website, but key points to note are:
- “The school has International status and has received a Mayor of London award for its contribution to community cohesion and a Transport for London gold award for sustainable travel.“
- “A parent wrote that, ‘The school has brought out the best in our children.’ This reflected the comments of others.”
- “The curriculum, students’ personal development and the quality of care, guidance and support they receive have securely maintained and built on previous levels of excellence and remain outstanding.”
- Teachers encourage students to think for themselves and they, and students, use technology well to make learning interesting and efficient. The school is at the forefront of website developments to support learning.”
- The significant rise in examination results, improvements in rates of progress and attendance since the previous inspection, senior leaders’ perceptive self-evaluation, and a rigorous and challenging governing body have ensured the school’s overall effectiveness has improved from good to outstanding and generate an outstanding capacity to improve further.”
What do OFSTED say?
Oaks Park is described as,
“An outstanding school”
We were particularly pleased that the inspectors noted the excellent progress made by our Sixth Form.
- “A Level results have improved steadily and rates of progress show a continuous upward trend.”
- “Students… leave as mature adults with excellent interpersonal skills, well prepared for future study and work.”
- “Students rightly value the rigorous monitoring of their academic progress and the feedback they receive.”
- “Students have very good insight and respect and celebrate religious and cultural diversity in a mature fashion.”
- “Leaders are effective, blending support for students’ overall welfare and their academic development.”
Oaks Park High School Sixth Form is oversubscribed and is growing in size and reputation. We pride ourselves on the excellent relationships students have with staff. External students comment on the friendly and welcoming nature of the school.
We offer an excellent Programme of Study, including a very wide range of A Levels and level 3 BTEC qualifications, tutorials and our unique progression programme ‘Aspire Higher’, and Outstanding Learners app. Student progress is tracked rigorously and all students are expected to achieve to their full potential and are supported throughout to do so.
What do parents say?
‘I wanted to let you know that all the help and support you provided is now paying off and we continue to be grateful for it.’
‘This school has brought out the best in our children’
What do students say?
‘Coming from a different school, I thought I wouldn’t fit in, but all the people at OPHS proved me wrong as they made me feel very welcome and I don’t regret my choice at all.’
‘An amazing journey which can only be explained when you go there!’
‘Oaks Park feels like a community rather than a school’
‘Oaks Park has pushed me to show excellence in all that I do.’